When I was 24 and a teacher in Asheville, I traveled to Manteo with my friends, Brad, Preston, Brenda, and Robin, to enjoy some NC beach time for spring break to stay for free at Brad’s grandmother’s house. NC has state taxes, and I remember finally filling out the forms late one afternoon in the family room after we got back from chilling at the beach. I remember debating, “Does anyone else claim me as a dependent? Do my parents still claim me? Do I put a 1 or a 0? Hmmmm.”

I wound up putting the wrong one, and being a tax accountant’s daughter, it was kind of an embarrassment for my family, like the farmer’s daughter not knowing how to strip tobacco or wring a chicken's neck. After I told my dad what I claimed on the already mailed form, he told me about a form that was foreign to me at the time, the 1040X —- the amended return.

I did my taxes online last week. I copied all my info from the paper to the screen making sure I had put all the proper information in the correct boxes.

A few days ago, I noticed a familiar looking envelope lying in the floorboard of my jeep. I almost threw it out, but decided to look inside. There was my 2007 W-2 neatly positioned and untouched.

My mind processed something pretty quickly, but I double checked my submitted tax info to hopefully dismiss the pit in my stomach. But I was right. I had entered all my 2006 W-2 info onto the online tax service. DOH! My form has already been sent to IRS never-neverland.

My next step is to wait. I have to wait until I receive my refund (ch-ching!) and then refile an amended return, the good ol’ 1040X. Fun times. Fun times. I like tax forms so much, I fill them out twice.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Alyssa said...

    Oh, that's not so much fun. I'm sorry.

  1. ... on 2:26 PM  
  2. susannah said...

    Oh dear. Good thing the people at the IRS are so friendly and forgiving.

    BTW - I love your blog, and I'm glad you read mine too. Hope to see you soon.

  3. ... on 7:41 AM