This weekend, I ran the Aid Sudan5K. I’ve been training sporadically in the midst of weddings, memorials, birthday parties, petsitting, and ministry activities—which caused me to attend some events stinky. We ran the race at Bear Creek Park which blessed my soul because of the great trees and nice glowing green grass from the new spring shoots.

Seeing the Sudanese who attended the event was also a blessing. Some boys from Sudan whose legs probably were at my shoulder height kept passing me, and then I’d catch up with them while they walked, and then they would pass me again. It was a fun game because I would taunt them each time I passed them saying I was going to beat them, and they would laugh. The Sudanese I met were beautiful people with skin the color of very dark coffee, perfectly white and straight teeth which appeared in their beautiful smiles, and they had a presence of peacefulness and quiet strength. It’s overwhelming to think about where some of them have traveled and knowing that there are people they love that either died or were left behind in the midst of their country’s struggle.

The funniest thing that happened was that I actually won a running award! I received first place in my age group (which I’m assuming is the twerties). My mother said, “Finally, one of my children has won an athletic award!” I’m hoping there is a video of the event, so my family will believe me. The aftereffects of being a running champion have not been so pleasant. I’ve been feeling a little limpy since, but know that my bionic knee will eventually be feeling well again.


This entry was posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

    Alyssa said...

    I cheered for you as you walked up to collect. ;)

    I walked the 5k and had a lot of fun!

  1. ... on 6:17 PM  
  2. Ulovebeth said...

    Thanks for cheering! I'm noticing I must be training for a modeling job because my cake pic and my plaque pic look the same.

  3. ... on 8:25 AM  
  4. The Traveler said...

    Beth,
    I think your Link to Aid Sudan is not going to the right site. I think you were looking for www.aidsudan.org Could be wrong :)

    Anyhoo, here is another site for Sudan if anyone is interested. This couple attends our church in Irving. Vernon taught our class a couple of Sundays ago. He is amazing and has a deep heart for the Lord. Enjoy. http://www.hisvoiceforsudan.org/home

  5. ... on 9:22 AM  
  6. Ulovebeth said...

    fixed the link. THANKS!

  7. ... on 10:28 AM