The scene began with me somehow being drawn to the counter like I was being called by the mothership. I stared up at the menu with a glazed look in my eyes. I had approximately 15 seconds to decide on my order. Frantically my eyes scanned the menu to come up with a total new concoction—one in which I might actually be beating Starbucks at their own game. The plan was to get a cool cup, a coffee high, and a fair price. I wasn’t dealing with my normal baristas who usually are more patient with me (last week they even let me roll dice to come up with an order).

Then, it was my turn. There were about 3 people behind me. One of which the barista made eye contact with before taking my order and said, “The usual?”

I gulped. And said something that sounded like, “Grande espresso with a shot of cinnamon syrup.” My plan was to then add a little milk from around the corner to take off the bitterness of espresso, and then I would have a generic cinnamon coffee drink.

The barista repeated what she heard to confirm, but added something else: “Espresso with cinnamon dolce syrup? We don’t have cinnamon syrup.”

Cinnamon syrup was plainly on the menu. But if they didn’t have it, they didn’t have it.

And then began the befuddlement.

Me: “No cinnamon syrup? Well, I guess cinnamon dolce syrup.”
Her: “So that’s double shot of syrup with a double shot of cinnamon dolce?”
Me: (adding up the 30 cent shots of syrup) “Yes. I mean, NO! I mean, well, what is that? I just want a single espresso. And one shot of syrup.”
Her: “So, that’s an espresso with two shots of syrup.”
Me: “Uh..sure. Yeah.”

By this time, I was confused and holding up the line. And my face was redder than the holiday cups. That was what I get for trying to beat the system. Normally, I just let the words flow and then pay my $4.00 and walk off happy, but poorer.

I waited for my cup. It was sitting on the side counter like an abandoned dog on the highway. For starters, it was tiny despite me ordering a grande. And it was only about ½ way full. I added the milk to it. And I was left with a cold, bitter, mildly sweet coffee that I paid cost $2.30.

Starbucks. You may have won today. But I’ll be back. Oh yes, I’ll be back.


This entry was posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    gL said...

    I can understand what you mean and find it intresting that Starbucks is trying to get away from being the lab and back to relations with baristas. Part of the experience is having fun with it... seems like they are more focused on getting everyone served quickly than anything else though lately.

  1. ... on 8:08 AM