My friend, Beth, from my Kenya trip found out she is allergic to about 100 different kinds of foods, and can therefore, eat about nothing. In order to remember and pray for her, I’m doing a raw food diet for 3 out of 7 days through the holidays. So far, I’ve done two days. I was explaining my raw food diet to my boss and how I was so proud that I ate no chips and a ceviche salad at Escalante’s, and she said, “Doesn’t the salad have oil in it?”


I guess her point is that oil is not “raw”; I don’t know if oil is raw or not. No raw food diet police is allowed on this venture. I guess I’m doing a “modified” raw food diet. Regardless of the fact, it’s not so bad. I’ve eaten more vegetables in my two out of three days than I have in the last two months.

In Kenya (transitioning into Kenya story), the food was very fresh. As in, I-just-looked-in-your-eyes-two-hours-ago-and-now-you-are-on-my-plate fresh. I’m steering away from meat for awhile. Perhaps the whole experience of super-fresh food left me a little chicken when it comes to eating meat.

Susan’s dad slaughtered a goat for us because we were important guests in his home. Susan told him that he shouldn’t because we wouldn’t eat it. But Dennis and Charles insisted that it would be really cool. So he slaughtered. And we ate. I didn’t even know that little guy’s name. I just ate him.

The food was actually surprisingly good. I guess I’ve heard about Africa's starvation my whole life, but then after I thought about it, every pastor I know from home that goes there never loses weight (and they usually have some to spare before they leave). We kept saying on the plane, “This could be our last meal…we better eat up!” I think we all probably gained weight.

We ate ugali (mushed maze that you formed into a spoon—kind of like playdoh/mashed potatoes) and chepate (?) bread at most meals. The chepate was kind of like a tortilla. …If we just had queso… They did have this stuff that was totally pico de gallo, but they called it something else.

I miss Africa. I miss the children. I want to hold their hands and hug them again. And wipe their noses (that’s another story). They are precious, precious, precious jewels.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    The Doctor said...

    mmmm, goat ribs...
    I have to say that despite all efforts to the contrary (okay, maybe not much effort), I gained over 5 pounds in Africa. We did eat out a lot though.
    Most food oils should be raw, as they aren't cooked or anything. Olive oil is squeezed from olives, but that is all the processing besides filtering.

  1. ... on 4:33 PM