I went for a quick visit home to Kentucky this past weekend. I forget how amazing Kentucky looks in the summer. Everything was so green and nice.

I had to quickly revert back to my sharp-curve-over-the-hill-and-two-lane-driving-with-no-shoulder-on-the-road skills. I doubt if most of my Houston friends could handle it. I even had a bit of nervousness driving when my mom and I drove out to the cemetery where my materal grandparents and great-grandparents are buried. Since my mom has moved, we went a back way that was a back way to the back way that we always used to go.

My mom and I took a shovel and an old butcher knife to the cemetery (I realize most people just bring flowers or flags). My mom has had knee surgery recently, so she needed my woman power to help with the overgrowth around my grandfather's veteran plaque that rests at the foot of the grave. I cut and shoveled until all corners of the plaque were visible again. My mom said she could hear my granny saying, "I'm so glad my sweet little Bethie worked so hard today!"

My youngest niece (8) and I spent some time out in my mom's yard doing cartwheels. She was so impressed that I could still do a cartwheel that she ran inside to tell my sister. I could barely believe it myself. My mom asked me if I thought my old gymnastics teacher saw me out in the yard. The cartwheel was about the only gymnastics skill I ever perfected. But I still got it.

On one night, my whole family (minus my bro and bro-in-law) went to watch Night at the Museum 2 at the local theater. My brother's kids refer to it as "Sticky Floors." The tickets are super cheap, along with the popcorn and coke, so the lower level of ambiance can be looked over.

I had a really good time just chilling with my family. Hanging out with my family is always an adventure even if we're just having a normal day of taking a shovel and a butcher knife to the cemetery.

When my mom and I arrived at the airport, I realized I had left my luggage at her house. I think my mom was kind of touched, because that act solidified my initiation into our family's craziness.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: