This is something I needed to tell--I like to cook.

Sometimes when I mention I cooked something, I get very strange looks from friends. I can't eat out every single meal of my life (okay! okay! I've tried. It's expensive!), nor can I eat cereal for every meal (tried that in college). Over the past several years, my cooking skills have improved, and for Christmas this year, I got more cooking tools which makes the process a lot easier.

I mainly cook chicken and veggies, and sometimes add in stirfrys or pasta dishes to my menu selection. Sometimes I bake fish. Last night, I experimented with ground turkey and made a tasty turkey burger.

Cooking kind of takes me back to my more artistic days. I use the recipes as a general guideline, and then do the best with what I have available out of my food stash. And, then voila! An edible masterpiece!

I've definitely made a few blunders, and I try to follow what my friend's nanny told him once, "Eat your mistakes," but sometimes it really is best to throw it out.

The hard thing about my cooking ability is that I only cook for one. Once I was in a relationship were my significant other was a really good cook. He could make crepes and all kinds of cool things. He was a pretty harsh food critic of my food at times (in my cooking ability defense, all food taste bad after it has set out too long because someone arrived a few hours late--but that's all olive oil under the bridge now), and I was left with feeling a bit of anxiety when cooking for a live, tasting audience besides myself. When the time is right, I will come out of my walnut shell.

Anyway, I like to create. I like to cook as a stress reliever (all the cutting and chopping and fire is cleansing). And I like to eat. So sorry I can't invite you over to dinner--becaues my dining times are sparatic.

But please, no more furrowed brow faces when I tell you: I like to cook. And I'm pretty good at it. But you'll just have to take my word on it.


This entry was posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: