I did it to please my mom. She wants to be able to watch cable when she comes to visit. So, I paid the $28.99 installation fee, plus the limited time off of $14.99 for 3 months. And now, I'm absorbing the cable rays feeding (or eating) my brain. It's a drug that's hard to resist. The pictures just constantly keep changing and before you know it...I'm in another world.

At first, I thought the world I was entering was going to be helpful to me. It seemed educational. I couldn't stop watching Planet Earth. I learned about cool oxen that live in the arctic. It was like I was right there for the Empire Penguin migration. Cool. Literally.

By the next night, I had moved out of educational and decided I would try out the free "on-demand" section of the cable guide. I can select from certain shows and play and pause them like a video. It's amazing. (I realize this has been around for awhile, but remember, I just got cable.)

One of the options for the shows on playback were episodes of The City which is MTV's new fake-ality soap. Jonah texted me a few weeks ago that one of his songs was played on the show which was very exciting. Last week, I watched a clip of the show on the internet, but now, I have access to entire episodes in my living room. I am completely hooked on the show. I totally scarfed all three episodes in one sitting, and then tonight, went back in t.v. time and watched the old episodes of the sister show, The Hills.

These shows are completely edited for drama and weird to watch. But so addictive!! It's like a fashion magazine that's alive. It might almost be better if you didn't have to hear the characters talk. I feel really sorry for these people, because they aren't just characters, they're people. They are pretty much The Truman Show, but they know they are being taped--and I assume--paid.

How would you know who your friends were, because wouldn't people want to stay on the show to get publicity? If they leave your life, they leave the show. Then, no more bling-bling from Harry Winston or ring-ring from agents.

I'm trying to work up a plan of how I can be on the show. The only laughs on the show are when LC and the gang are at a bar and laughing over an alcoholic beverage of one sort of another. These people just aren't funny. Everything is too serious. These people need some joy. I guess this means I need to put these people on my prayer list, too.

They need wisdom. And some joy. And some discernment on how to spend their megabucks. The show might loose most of its audience if they actually aired when they trip or laugh til water comes out their nose, or go to church and say the name, "Jesus" and mean it. It's not nice to put these people in a zoo. But until then, I guess I'll keep watching. I NEED AN INTERVENTION!

Just in case any Hills'/City Kids are reading--I wanted to write them some notes:

Whitney - I know we're not friends, but I've seen you on TV with Lo and L.C. Please watch episode 1 of yourself where there are some good clues that Jay is not a good boyfriend choice. You're a fabulous girl, and I wish you lots of luck. If you ever want to hand down any old clothes or accessories to me, I'll send you my address.

LC - I think you need to pray about forgiving Heidi, and find some new friends that are funny. p.s. You might drink too much which could cause you to age prematurely. Consider cutting back. Also, consider leaving The Hills for The Reals (life, that is).

Heidi - I know you just married Spencer against everyone's will, so please get into some couseling ASAP. Also, get the book Power of a Praying Wife. It's a good book, and will be a good start for you. Also, please go back to the lighter blonde color on earlier episodes.

Lo - I think you might be too dependent of LC. Look at Whitney, she got her own show! I think you need to keep branching out and be confident in yourself. Good luck!


This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    if you're looking for some pure comedy, try the personal ads. Hi-lar-i-ous!

  1. ... on 12:41 PM  
  2. Ulovebeth said...

    Oh geez! I haven't found that button yet! I did Cardioke last night which was pretty entertaining.

  3. ... on 4:55 PM