Sometimes I get a case of shoe envy. I ran into a former work acquaintance over the holidays, and she had the best shoes. They weren't super cute or sparkly, but they looked slightly sheik and very comfy.

Right now, about 85% of my shoes are painful. Some cause me to walk funny. Some give me blisters. And some are too high to wear all day and give me knee pain.

The shoes this girl had that I envied were a pair of Cole Haan ballet flats with Nike Air soles. They were black and had nice little crinkles of leather. They looked like something you could take to the office or the park for a stroll.

So let's do some shoe math:

Let's say I have 20 pair of painful shoes at the low Target price of $20. That's a total of $400 for some cute, however, not really great shoes.

But let's say I have one pair of Cole Haan at $150, but I wear them everyday. Then, those 20 pair of unwearable shoes aren't such a good deal anymore. So, I guess that means I need to buy those $150 shoes.

If you are not familiar with the above scenario, what you witness above is call "Shoe Buying Justification." In this particular scenario, my main arguments were long term cost and comfort.


This entry was posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Aud said...

    agreed...I have few shoes, but they were expensive, love them all, and they last forever. and the best part is...I end up accumulating great shoes that never have to be thrown out! Love my Danskos, Chacos and Earth like mad!

  1. ... on 11:08 PM