This is the time of year, when it’s really fun to call friends in cold parts of the country and say, “Oh? It’s 30 there? Well, we’re in shorts, and it’s 81 degrees today!”

But honestly, I kind of miss colder weather. It’s the only time of year when not having a tan is not that noticible. And you can use a big fluffy sweater to cover up some days from the past when you chose M&Ms over vegetables for dinner. All you have to worry about is not having hat head all the time or how to keep the static out of your hair. …And you also have to figure out how not to look like Rudolph after you come in from the cold. …And you also to be careful not to slip on ice when you’re walking on sidewalks, steps, etc. It’s definitely a debate—the whole cold or hot issue.

I had a revelation today at work that the possibilities of me ever getting snowed in here would be nil. It nice to not have to worry about sudden snowstorms, but I also remember the fantastic feeling of peering through the blind right after waking up and finding out the whole world had stopped except for television access.

As a kid, my mom would make us snowcream and we would bundle up with our snowboots, as many layer of socks that we could fit on, longjohns, tights, pants, gloves with mittens over them, hat, and a scarf. My favorite thing to do was to trek my name as big as I could through the snow. Then, I would attempt to make a snowman. The snow can’t be too light, or too icy.

One year, I rolled the snowballs too big, and I couldn’t pick them up, so I had to just push the balls beside one another and make a snowworm. Maybe that’s when the neighbors first realized that I was a prodigy.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: