I have a knack for making friends at airports and on planes. It doesn't happen everytime, but it happens quite often. I am often left with their business cards, and years later randomly find them in an old purse and wonder who in the world that person is and why I have their business cards.

Here are some of my adventures:

1) I met a lady that was visiting the US for the first time for a business trip. She was from Japan. I got to tell her that there were no monkeys in the US. She couldn't believe it. She thought monkeys lived everywhere.

2) During an extensive airport layover at Heathrow, I went to check on our boarding time for the group I was with. I didn't return to the group for over 45 minutes, because a Scottish lady grabbed my ear. It took her 20 minutes to realize I was an American, because she never heard me speak. She told me the story of her life, including something that she said she had never told anyone ever before. She hugged and kissed me after the share time. I can't remember her name, but she was a sweet lady.

3) In the Houston airport, I bumped into an older lady who needed directions in the airport. She was from Puerto Rico and managed a hotel. She hugged me and told me that I was welcomed to come stay with her anytime. I wonder if she really would remember me if I took her up on that offer...

4) Over Memorial Day, I met a guy that worked for TiVo. His business card actually lists his favorite TV programs as a kid and as an adult. He was visiting Kentucky for the first time so I tried to give him some pointers.

5) Over Mardi Gras, I took a trip home to Kentucky and met a Jewish lady named Ginger that had questions about Easter and what the traditions mean. I had my bible all ready to go to start spouting scriptures, but the two ladies that were Mardi Gras attenders surprised me did a better job than I could have of detailing the story. We had a great time on that plane ride and all bonded really quickly. We were all ladies from completely different places in life, but immediately had a connection. I gave Ginger my bible at the end of the exchange, because I felt like I needed to contribute something. The whole experience taught me not to tell a book by its cover, unless it's the bible, of course.

6) My favorite meeting was a few years ago when I had an airplance romance. Somehow, I got lucky enough to sit by an attractive guy around my age. He was in the Airforce, so he explained to me the reasoning for our flight take-off and landing pattern. We shared stories about our lives. We played games on each other's phones, and he added his number into my phone and then got my number. In baggage claim, he met my mom, and then he gave me a hug. I guess he was flighty because that must've been our break up in baggage claim, because I never heard from him. It was the fastest relationship I've ever had.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: