It started out with a free rainbow slinky. I love slinkies. They bring back good memories of childhood trying to get that crazy thing to travel smoothly down our staircase. But this slinky led me on a bad path.

I remember I was visiting an off-campus college bookstore trying to get some used textbooks for a better price. While there, I was lured to a credit card representative that would give me a free rainbow slinky and discounted plane tickets for signing up. Little did I realize, that those "free" items would costs me thousands and thousands of dollars in the years to follow.

My purchases were maintained and orderly for many years. I knew what debt was--my father was an accountant. I knew I didn't want it. So, I would faithfully pay off each balance.

Life took some unexpected turns in my early twenties. I left my teaching job in North Carolina to move home and pursue a more advanced degree. Then, within a month of making this decision, my father was diagnosed with cancer.

We moved to Houston for his treatment. I started going to a large church that was very welcoming and loving, but also filled with many people who seemed to have way better paying jobs than I ever had. And at that time, I had no job.

So, Houston had all kinds of new adventures and possibilities. And I had few funds. I did not want to keep asking my parents for money, so I used my plastic. The balance wasn't horrific, but it was like a starter kit. Then, I found myself in a relationship with a someone who tried impressing me with fine food, gifts, and trips. After the impressing stage of the dating relationship was over, we started splitting our costs 50/50. My half was pretty much plastic.

After the big spender got cut from my life, the plastic became my emergency spending account. And it seemed like there were always extra emergencies.

Years later, my church went through a campaign to raise funds for a redo of our sanctuary. We were asked to pray about how to give extra. I kind of felt like my contribution would be like the widow's mite. I still prayed about how much to give and was given a number that was a little uncomfortable. And then in frustration--or maybe in obedience--I got out all my bills and sat with them spread out all over the floor. And I prayed and cried out to God asking for help.

I prayed about becoming a more cheerful giver--which seemed a weird thing to do when you are trying to pay off debt--but it was a very crucial part of the lesson I learned. I've had many great examples of cheerful givers in my life. And I've been challenged by people who live this out.

The way I see it, God has all the money in the world, and he chooses how to distribute it. That money can shift from one hand to the next. If I have a lot of it or a little of it, it's not mine. It's God's. And what he does entrust me with, I need to be wise about how I use it. (note: I am still not the queen of wisdom in this area)

Sometime after I prayed, I was pretty much miraculously blessed with a new job and a raise, and I made a decision to get control of the plastic. I felt those things were an answer to prayer and God taking care of me. I'm happy to say, as of last Friday, the plastic is now paid in full! I'm no longer an American statistic. It feels good.

I want to thank God for being gracious to me by teaching me how to grow wiser and more discerning in the crazy world of money. Our world is full of lures, and shiny, plastic money can help bring temporary relief--but I warn you, it comes with a high interest rate. Be careful and prayerful. (I feel a bumper sticker coming on!)

College students: avoid the rainbow slinky!!!


This entry was posted on Friday, March 16, 2012 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: