The other night, I was watching a friend's cable and discovered a show that I had heard about, but never seen: Hoarders. The show scared the eebie jeebies out of me.

I prefer to call my own issues by a less obtrusive name: Pack Rat--or collector. I have had the problem since I was a child--or my mother said it was a problem. I never had any issues with it. I just liked to collect things. I had a seashell collection and a sticker collection. And of course, an array of Barbies.

After visiting Africa, I was struck by how the people there had relatively no possessions, and I had an overabundance of them. But what do we do with all our junk? Throw it out? Label it? Store it? Save it for a rainy day for our future children? I don't know.

The show has put me in a mood of bulldozing through my belongings. I am weeding the important from the unimportant. I want to live leaner. I want to be honorable with what God has blessed me with and not hold too tightly to things that don't have lasting value.

...I just did a quick google search of the word "storehouse" and there's several scriptures talking about God's storehouses and storing grain and those good things. I guess the problem with hoarding is that there could be a greed element involved or an overfocus on things providing solutions to problems. I'm not pointing fingers at any hoarders, because there would be nine pointing right back at me that have been painted with one of my 10 bottles of the perfect pink fingernail polish.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: