On the very beginning of What Not to Wear, a street sign flashes that reads "No miniskirts after 35." I'll be turning 35 on Monday, and I'm wondering what "after 35" means. Would after 35 be 36? Or after 35 be one day after turning 35? I want to know if I can wear miniskirts during the year of 35 and still not be a fashion rule breaker.

While in Target today, I noticed an elderly lady that seemed to be with her 30-something granddaughter. We wound up exiting the store at the same time, and I noticed that the two were having a discussion, and I thought I heard the words, "Ask her!" I also noticed that it appeared that the "her" was me.

I made eye-contact and said, "Yes?"

The two fumbled a bit and then the mid-80s granny sporting her white sweat pants yelled over to my parking lot row, "Where did ya get your jeans?"

My brain and mouth responded instantly, "Banana Republic...or I guess the Banana Republic Factory Store...it's a been a few years."

The granddaughter had to relay the message because the granny couldn't hear me.

The granny said, "Oh, well I like them!"

I realized I was in the wrong lane to find my car, so I crossed behind the two and could hear the granny saying, "...and I like the zippers on the side.."

I am not quite sure what she meant about the zippers on the side. My Guess jeans from 1987 had zippers on the side, but these do not.

Then the realization that an 80ish woman liked my clothes hit me. Had I suddenly passed over into another age group of dressing where now my clothes were hip to the seniors? I can't stop picturing that granny wearing my jeans.

I should have told her I got them at Forever 81, but my mind wasn't that sharp. See?! Again! This aging thing better be nice to me!


This entry was posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: