Two weeks ago, I pulled out of Whole Foods after lunch and was leisurely driving to a stoplight when I was abruptly cut off by another car. While still in a bit of shock but being thankful I wasn't injured, the same car rolled the window down and showed me a special finger waving it around. (It wasn't the special finger that sings the song "This Little Light of Mine"--it was the one next door.)

I don't know what I did to the driver, but apparently he/she was very upset with me. As I pulled into my work driveway, the driver then laid on the horn--I guess to display another sign of dissatisfaction. I wish I would have known what I did. It must have been pretty earth-shattering.

This week, I pulled out of Whole Foods after lunch and continued, as many times before, on my leisurely drive to the stoplight. My car was in the same position as before when I met Mr. Tallman in front of me two weeks prior. I felt someone's eyes on me, so I looked two rows of stopped traffic over, and a young gentlemen had rolled down his window. He was driving a gleaming white new BMW with fancy wheels and shining silver accents. At first glance, I thought he was Usher. When my eyes found his gaze, he started waving and motioning for me to roll down my window. I didn't oblige, but smiled and stared forward.

I waited a minute pretending to be very interested in the status of the light and looked over again. He was still staring--this time, leaning out the window a bit. He became animated again when I looked at him. After an eternity, the light changed, and Usher drove away putting a kiss onto his hand and waving it as the BMW quickly took off down the road. At the same time, I turned to the left and started down the road to work realizing that on that same spot of the road I had received both a curse and a blessing (of sorts).

Life is funny that way. In possible a stretch of theological meaning, it also made me think about Jesus and how one minute the crowd loved him and the next they were yelling at him to be crucified.

I might find a new way to drive back from Whole Foods.

Oh, people! We are fickle.


This entry was posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: