I came, I saw, I ran. I did two races in two weekends. The races were only 5Ks, but if you add both together, you get a 10K. I could do another one in a few weeks which would mean I would accomplish a 5K Triple Crown of sorts. But I think I'm ready to get back to some old routine workouts.

Running can be physically exhausting. And it tricks me into thinking I can consume thousands of calories because I'm burning them off. Mentally, I know my burned calorie to consumed calories ratio has been a bit off, but my hunger monster prefers to ignore scientific facts. And because running is not a natural gift, I have to work pretty hard to reach goals, and working out has more of an emphasis on "work" than I would like it to. But, since I have worked so hard to be able to run an easy 3.2, I'm hoping to keep up my stamina and toned legs.

I've noticed that runners can develop a type of pride over their abilities. Perhaps it goes back to old days when good runners initiated and lived out "survival of the fittest." So maybe runners have the right to brag about their miles logged and PRs. If dinosaurs come back Jurassic Park style, they can put that talk into a walk--or, uh, run.

Sometimes I have thoughts flash through my mind when I'm in a parking lot thinking about me outrunning a purse snatcher or something. This is with the assumption that the purse snatcher is not a good runner. Or then I think the purse snatcher may have good speed, but perhaps I could beat him in distance. I better start practicing in heels for more real-world training.

So, I suppose I'll keep up my running. And maybe figure out what my next goal is--time or distance. I might go for time. It's a good feeling zipping by people.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: