I like things. But most of the time, they don't rule me. Sometimes, I am drawn to something overly sparkley or get the fever for a new trend, but I am not obsessed.

Recently, I was trained by the lady at the Sunglass Hut about the wonders of the sunglass brand, Maui Jim. Prior to this training, I was completely unaware that such sunglasses existed, much less the power of polarized glasses. When sunglasses are polarized, glare from bright lights is completely muted. You could probably view a solar eclipse if you felt like it with no retina damage (not an official claim by Maui Jim).

One small detail about these glasses that the lady left out was the price. Maui Jim's cost around $300. With $300, I could buy 30 pair of the sunglasses I currently wear. But who can put a price on good vision, right?

I later found out that lots of sunglasses that costs a lot less are polarized. When I went to a discount store, I decided to see if they had polarized glasses for a cheaper price. I found several styles that looked decent, and most were designer brands from department stores.

I noticed one pair I put on appeared to be polarized. I tried them on--no glare. Then, I examined the glasses. There were a few stratches, but most of the discounted glasses appeared this way.

The inside label said, "maui" so I thought they must be knock-offs. When I looked at the front of the glasses, in nice cursive writing was, "Maui Jim." I was in disbelief. I found a pair of Maui Jims on the rack! A few weeks ago, I would have had no clue what treasure I had found. The only problem was that there wasn't a price on the glasses.

And then I noticed, the Maui Jims looked pretty worn. Then, I realized, these glasses were probably left by mistake. For a moment a thought flashed, "So...if they aren't the property of the store, and somebody left them, finders-keepers losers-weepers?"

I decided I didn't want to go to the slammer for sunglasses. I carried them to the front of the store to see if by chance, they were for sale. That was a fat chance, and they were not for sale. So, I left the store, glasses free. But honest.


This entry was posted on Friday, September 24, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: