I went to the dentist today. It was a bit painful. I have "mild gingivitis" which means "painful gums" in layman's terms. On a day to day basis my gums don't hurt, but when they are probed with a tiny metal hook, they ache. I hadn't kept my normal flossing routine over the last week or so, and the results showed today.

I endured the pain from the cleaning because I want good teeth. I want a sparkly smile. I've been working on it since I was five and got the magic red tablets and crocodile toothbrush from a kindergarten presentation. The tablets (which tasted awful) would uncover areas that needed to be brushed. My dad also had false teeth, and those teeth--or the absence of his real teeth--were a highly motivating factor of my own dental care. Teeth are preferably in the mouth, and not on the corner of a sink to soak at night--so I faithfully and fearfully brush.

I've been drinking more coffee over the last year, so now I have something I never had in the past: coffee stains. At first, I didn't know what was wrong. I thought I had some weird, translucent and mildly brown tooth problem. It was just the stains.

This weekend, I want my teeth to be exceptionally bright and white to show off a happy smile at the weddings I'm going to be attending. I have the whole scenario planned out with my teeth being the star (well, besides the bride).

I will be in the single lady lineup (which I normally detest) for the bouquet toss. Since I've been working on my vertical jump, I will easily claim the prize. And then after my great catch, I will flash my wedding white smile (brought to you by Crest White Strips and my dental cleaning), and a handsome groomsmen will have to shield his eyes with his wedding ringless left hand as the photographer's camera flash reflects off my smile. That groomsmen will at once be smitten. And the rest is history.

But that means, in the next few days, I've got to work extra hard at keeping my pearly whites pearly and not gnarly with more stains. It's almost gametime. So, Starbucks, we are officially on a coffee break...unless you promise that if I drink with a straw I won't have teeth stains.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Getting married is one of the most memorable moments of a man or a woman and therefore, they must make it really special. I am getting married next month and fiance visited her dentist (Germantown, TN area) and have her teeth whiten so that she'll have the most beautiful smile on our big day. As for me, I also visited some of our Germantown, TN dentists and have my teeth cleaned. Indeed, I am excited for our big day.

  1. ... on 9:46 PM