Since returning to Texas after being in Kentucky for the holidays, I am rejoicing in the temperatures. Kentucky was cold. Texas--not so much.

The temperatures have dropped to the thirties this week, but I don't even really notice it. It's nothing a small thermostat change or a hat can't fix. In Kentucky, the cold had invaded everything. Old Man Winter doesn't just pop in and out, he sits a spell--a long spell.

The contrasts are almost overwhelming. Going back home and seeing everything frozen almost felt like I had taken a trip to the Arctic. I couldn't get over the appearance of the cars. Every car had an icicle hanging from it--like it was an extension of the body of the car. And where there weren't icicles, there were ice chunks and dirt and grim from salt and snow and mud. It was ugly. (The picture above is an actual icicle family hanging from my mom's car.)

All the trees had a nice dead appearance. When the ground wasn't covered with snow, it looked like it had just given up.

DEPRESSING!

When I came back to Texas, it felt like I had gone back a season in time to Fall or Spring (you can never really tell what season it is unless it's summer). My spirit was immediately lifted.

Growing up with seasons, there is so much allegory with life and change and regrowth, but I'm not going to lie, it's nice to visit, but living here is much easier at this time of the year.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: