It's been a hard week at my job. My co-worker, David, was 24, and killed in a freak one-car accident on Friday. I love going to my job, but for once, sometimes it's hard to get there. Once I'm there things get more normal, but then for some reason, it's hard to leave work, too, because then my guard is let down, and I feel sad again. Please pray for David's family and his friends.

I keep seeing his great smile and remember his expressions. He used try to not laugh when he would be funny, but then the smile would explode on his face. It was great.

One day, he was having a hard time at work. He and I were meeting about his career and future steps. I felt bad for him being so young and trying to get where he wanted to be, but sometimes having obstacles (like the economy) which were greater than himself. So being the spontaneous me I am, I said, "I'm sorry, but I want to give you a hug."

He said uncomfortably and freaked out by me and my spontaneous hugging issue, "Uh, I'm okay. I don't need a hug."

And me, being me, said, "I'm giving you one anyway. Just don't tell HR."

Even though it was not my professionalism best and the fourth grade teacher coming out in me, I'm glad I gave him that hug. And I'm glad he took it.

Even though Charlie Brown says grief is good, it's actually a bit hard.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Mimi said...

    Beth,

    That is really sad. I'll pray for David's family and you too!

    Love, Mimi

  1. ... on 3:13 PM