Read this article: Vampire Electronics.
 
I've been turning off more appliances that shamelessly suck power when not in use. My electric bill was only $30 this month.
 
Okay! Okay! I also did not have power for an entire week due to Ike. And, my electric company is taking an average of my bills, and then will charge me more later because they are the head vampires of my wallet.
 
Anyway, the point is to look out for things that you can turn off. I've got my t.v., dvd, vcr (still have one), and stereo plugged into a power strip, and I just turn the whole thing off during the day. I'm pretty excited about seeing if this makes a difference on my power bill. Because I'm a geek, but at least I'm not a vampire!


See how Windows Mobile brings your life together—at home, work, or on the go. See Now


This entry was posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Daniel said...

    Frustratingly, there are some devices that can still pull power even if turned off, as long as they remain plugged in. If you really want to explore what items in your house are the biggest hits to your utility bill, you might like to experiment with one of these gadgets: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/9f4f/ You can set it to whatever rate your local company charges and then plug it into a socket and the device you want to test into it and leave it for a night or day of regular usage. When you check it, it will give you a readout of actual cost that item is running you, which the mfg. claims is 98% accurate. Can reveal some surprises!

  1. ... on 5:08 PM