I don't think I'm getting the new iPhone 5. I don't really need it. I am eligible for an upgrade, but my iPhone 4 is still very handy dandy. So far, it's in one piece. Somehow, I've managed to care for it better than my iPhone 3GS. It had all kind of bumps and scars. My iPhone 4 still functions fine and looks rather new.

I got to see a real, live iPhone 5 yesterday. The screen is bit longer, as well as the phone. It does have nice brushed metal on the back. But I don't see anything that will improve my quality of life or those around me.

My coworker has said the biggest difference is the speed. I said, "So the only major improvement is the speed?"

He replied, "Yes. It's fast."

I said, "And that's it?"

He replied again, "It's really fast."

I can live at a slower pace. I'm still not convinced.

On the elevator leaving work on Friday, I found myself encapsulated with one other stranger. She was an African American woman possibly in her early 40s wearing a patterned work dress and staring blankly at the buttons on the right side of the elevator as I stood on the left with a mirrored appearance. We briefly made eye contact, and then she spoke.

"It's gonna be hard to say goodbye to my friend, the iPhone 4," she was gazing into the screen as she spoke loud enough to include me in the moment. Then she became more antimated and busted out saying, "But it's okay, because I'm getting an iPhone 5!" She did a bit of a quick stationary dance to emphasize her excitement.

As we walked off the elevator, our conversation continued, "Yes, it's strange the attachment we have to those phones."

She quickly replied, "Oh, they have adapters! I'm going to have to buy several--one for my car, for work, for home. They're not too expensive."

I just nodded. She was too in the moment of the iPhone 5 high to understand what I meant.

Whatever the case (or iPhone cover), I'm holding out for iPhone 6--I'm looking for a phone that can warm my coffee and do a cool R2D2 hologram. I might do a dance on an elevator for that.


This entry was posted on Thursday, September 27, 2012 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Mimi said...

    i concur. i concur.

  1. ... on 2:34 PM